Monday, December 19, 2011

habits!

Bad habits! I have plenty of these. Today I looked up this subject and was surprised by how much information was out there! Everything from it taking 3-4 weeks to change them and even people saying you can never change once set in your ways. I think the best information I found said you can start new habits, so there is still hope for me yet!
So, I started to wonder how long would it really take to start a new habit. I think the best information I found came from the UK Health Behaviore Research Centre . They came out with some research saying it took 66 days to form a habit. I think I like this better than the idea of doing something for say only 30 days. The longer we do something the more it will stick…right?
Okay, so now I am wondering how to go about starting new habits. Should I pick one or maybe several and give it a go? I think with me I should do this in baby steps. I’m thinking one at a time would be more realistic. Where to start and what habit seems to be best? I think making a list would be a good start. Here are some that seem important to me.
1. Walking 3-5 days a week
2. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day
3. Doing those pesky dishes every night before bed. (some days they end up being done in the morning :o)
4. Eat breakfast every morning!
5. Take my vitamins every day.
6. Floss twice a day even when once seems enough on busy days.
7. Go to bed at a reasonable time.
8. Eat something green every day.
9. Read for 15 minutes a day. I know its not long, but with six kids it is!
10. Remember my prayers every night.
Okay so there is a list of ten. A good start for sure. Now I need to pick one and go at it! (like how I am figuring this out as I go?) I think I will use a very scientific method and please feel free to use it if ever not sure when making choices off a list. Going to close my eyes now and see where my finger leads me. Okay number 5 and the vitamins!
To make this legitimate I am going to take all the vitamins I like to use and put them into 66 individual bags. I will also take my supplements and put them in the same area. I guess I need to go buy extras tomorrow. I will also enlist my husbands help to make sure I have support and don’t fail at this. I think a photo log would be another good idea. Maybe it will make it kind of fun….for me at least. Oh, a picture before and after 60 days also. I want to see if they really make a difference in my skin and hair. I have never been good at taking them with any kind of consistency.
Well, as silly as this seems I am excited to give it a try. If it works I will work on this list of ten until I get them all into my habits! :D Now step one is getting these vitamins in baggies and taking that dreadful before photo. 66 days doesn’t seem so bad, well for now it doesn’t! Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment