Sunday, September 11, 2011

PB&J

Peanut butter and jelly is a classic! One thing all kids and most adults love to have. I find my children eat this for lunch and snack whenever they can. The trick to this tasty sandwich is putting a little extra power into it. By power I mean making it as healthy and nutritious as possible.
Don’t get me wrong you can always go for the white bread, Smuckers and Jiff, but I do it a bit different in our house. I try to make sure we are getting the healthiest foods we can. I have found a few products at our commissary that the kids actually like and will eat. I enjoy it very much myself. Using organic jams and jellies ensures their bodies are getting the sweet stuff they love without all the extra pesticides that can hurt them later in life. I also like to switch up regular peanut butter with almond butter. It has more vitamin E, iron and calcium than the peanut butter. I also like to use different breads. Bleached white flour is lacking in just about everything. I go for stone ground whole wheat when I can find it. When I cant I go for the next best thing. Anything with whole wheat flour listed as the first ingredient is the runner up when I am left without my first choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment